Sunday 10 June 2018

May 11th

Soil Horizon Cups

After our exploration of the soil horizons, I had students work in groups to create a representation of each layer. Because I didn't want the students to be on a sugar high all day from candy/food soil cups. I had the groups brainstorm what materials they can use to represent each layer from the craft supplies that I have and from materials gathered outside (ex. buttons for the Bedrock, grass for Organic Layer). 

They will plan as a group what materials to gather, they will then go gather up supplies and will lay them out on a desk and place a label by each object/item. 

Here are some photo's from each group, allowing me to assess understanding/ thinking/ communication/ knowledge skills.







Some groups stacked the cups in layers, which I loved because it made separating the items to recycle much easier! And made it easier to see the distinct materials used to represent each layer.


This group mixed the materials together in the cup (as the instructions indicated). In reflection, I think this style makes it a little harder to distinguish the different layers from each other.



Rural Research

Rural Research citadel kidzsearch flocabulary quizlet LONG VIDEO: For viewing at home